Keeping Your Kids On Track
Tips to support you in monitoring your child's educational progress:
1) Log in to your school's Parent Portale (if applicable)
- Here you will be able to see their recent marks
2) Communicate with the teacher
- Often no news means good news
- If you have any concerns, I recommend that parents communicate with the teacher.
- Your chid's teacher will be able to provide you with some insight on how things are going at school, he/she will be able to put your mind at rest or provide you with suggestions on how you can support your child at home.
3) Show interest in their day
- Go beyond asking, 'how was school today'?
- Asks specifics,
e.g. what did you learn in math today?
- Getting very specific is possible.
- If your child receives a weekly calendar or syllabus, this makes it easier.
4) Develop a routine for them to empty their backpacks when they come home
- Check to see if there are any notes from the teacher
5) Review tests and assignments - Avoid sign and go - Praise them for their efforts and ask them if they are happy with their mark - Ask if they understand where they made their mistakes - If yes, awesome - If no, see how you can support them